Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Runcible spoon, a monkey and two redefined nudes

This first new paperwork, Monkeyboy, was born while sketching some ideas for a work inspired by Lear's The Owl and Pussycat for an upcoming show at Northeast Kingdom Artisans Guild.  I found myself fixating on the runcible spoon, while on the radio I overheard a man talking about eating the brains of a living monkey. I was also meditating the life of a child I have watched grow to adulthood, and his mother, who raised him manipulating, him, as did her mother, confusing love with power, dining on an elixir of repression and unimagined dreams. He is at death's door, like Hansel, fattened by the witch, his only reward is the promise of eternal life in the magic kingdom of God.


Monkey Boy, or
"My darling Monkeyboy, you're just so sweet, I could eat you all up."
11 x 14 x 1.5
Cardstock, enameled paper, tin foil, rice paper

"Daddy long-leg, 1972". Going through a pile of old works, I came upon two nude drawings I'd done when I lived on Hemenway Street in Boston, in my first solo apartment in that city.  I reframed the male, retitling it, after noticing a slight anatomical miscalculation, revealing my lack of formal, disciplined training.

Male Nude 
10 x 12
Pencil
"Nana's Pimple," another nude, also with peculiar anatomy,wearing fishnet stockings is a version of a woman I'd been enamored of way back in Baltimore.Removing the drawing from it's acidic mat I began playing with the drawing keeping the yellowed paper as the border of the polygon design, giving her a bold new setting, maybe with a little elegance to enhance the weird fondness I have for the drawing, and for lovely Joan R.

Nana's Pimple 1972-2015
10 x 8 x 1.5
Pencil Drawing, Cardstock, foam board, Rice paper

you can also see more of my work at my website: www.frasewhitepaperglass.com



No comments:

Post a Comment