Monday, July 6, 2015

Lotus, the flower of wisdom, the radiance of compassion

In the decades I have worked in glass, I had not done one specifically for my partner, Chuck.  I had made windows for our homes, which first ignited my interest in doing stained glass.  I have produced several water lily themed windows for other patrons and friends.  When he suggested doing another, to aid in his meditation, I was unsure of how to approach the subject. Working with various designs, multiple sketches and several prototypes in clear glass, it evolved into this, now hanging in our study, inspired by Buddhist and other spiritual resources. The colors all represent aspiration: the red of wisdom radiating the white light of compassion, bonded to the growing green of earth, and the deep blue of spirituality over materialism.
Lotus the Light of Heaven and Earth
(for Chuck)
22 x 39
When doing a window, working from sketch, to choosing glass, to cutting, assembly, there are always moments of uncertainty (& always the one where the work looks horrible).  I was in for a surprise we hung the window and the inner circle behind the white rays emanating from the lotus, which I had chosen for the dense white color, radiated a green light (from outside it appears as the white I had chosen).  Here is a photo of the window, in the final stages of assembly as it looked on my work table.  Part of the enchantment of working in this medium is the wonder that happens as light filters, glistens or glares, through the panels of glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment