Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Song Sparrow


 Song Sparrow

(Crack Shot, 1957)

 Proud boy

10th birthday bb gun 

No more toy TV Wild West

 six-shooter

Wyatt, Hoppalong,

heir of Roy and Dale

 

Out stalking game

no paper targets, tin cans

practicing for those hunting days

I’d find manly honor at 14

old enough for my own shotgun 

 

Easter Recess, in the large playground

circling my two-room school

ducking under the jungle gym bars

(I’d knocked myself out there

fallen Tarzan of the Apes)

Into the grove of budding

shellbark hickory trees

 

50 foot up atop one

A Proud song sparrow

trills for love, in praise of Spring


 

perfect target

raising, aiming, squeezing

crack

b.b. pop right on spot

 

a loud silence

 

falling    

              

falling

 

falling

 

 

that hush still rings inside

 

©James M. Frase-White 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment