Monday, February 15, 2021

A Valentine for Mom and (step)Dad . . . nostalgia in a bag of clothes

 


In the Mood

 

In the new house

Down in the basement

In front of the fallout shelter

hung a line of plastic bags

clear soldiers guarding in a row


These bags once hidden away

Intrigued my adolescent mind

Mysteries of days gone by

Pirating for treasure, unzipping for the dig

 

First, standing at attention

Was Daddy’s sailor suit

A uniform handsome in solid navy blue

To my surprise it fit like a caress

I was my father’s trim young form

Taken far from home

Across the continent

And  unpacified Pacific

The fight Japan, in water and in flight

A gunner’s mate on battle ship

Off to win the war, on sea and in the air

 

Admiring me in woolen blue

The mirror reflected red

I turned, unzipped the bag

A full skirt dress danced out

Clenching the frock unto my front

My mother appeared inside

 

I pulled it close and held her dear

Mother no longer Ma

Not the widow with five children

 struggling to survive

 

She was that young farm girl

A Saturday night revived

Blossoming with a taste of freedom

A red rose in a dress

 

My arm raised holding one red sleeve

In a salute to love

the other I  flipped on shoulder

My left hand on her back

 

From my standing trombone case

Glenn Miller came out to play

Together we began to dance

Bright rose upon midnight blue

 

A Moonlight Serenade

 

Daddy and Mama were no more

We two-stepped back in time

Fanciful young creatures

Danced the world alive

War sunk into the ocean deep

 widow black dispersed in to night

Maud’s hair so long and beautiful

Swirling, whirling with the dance

Joe’s eyes lit with stars of joy

The radiant grace of ethereal light . . .

Young again forever more . . .

 

 

©james m. frase-white 2/14/2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment