Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Prince Who Got taken away by the Spring Salmon (1995)

"Each species of salmon has its own chief and village beneath the sea. Each year their chief, a bear on land, greets them, as they come to spawn, then after the ritual birth rites, returns to the watery homeland, a fish once again."  This work was inspired by a Tsimshian "Button Blanket" which I saw in an exhibit of Native art from the area surrounding the Bering Sea, both North America and Asia,  called Crossroads of the Continents, in 1989.  Every time I see a photo of this work, I find myself charmed by it, and a smile, like the one on the bear, shines on my face and in my heart.  It has found a new home, returning to the area of its spawning grounds,  in the owners vacation cabin in Idaho.  

No comments:

Post a Comment