Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Flush

Jennifer Jones e Cocker Spaniel no filme "Flush"

Elizabeth, let me count

Because you make me laugh
a humor that comes from your full self
the belly rings, the mind dizzles
the heart sing a—ling-a-lings

Because once you held me in your arms
when I was troubled, sorrow
ripping my heart
my friend had jumped off the edge of the earth
trapeezed to the arms of death
your comfort
nestled me into the warm arms of life

Because you have known me all my life
and I have never been afraid of you
love your force your wit, your directness
which scares other people away
attuned to convention
the absurd, the obvious

I love you for your reverence
no, not just for your lord, but for what goes
beyond the imaginary and touches
the heart of the real

I love you for I have known you
Since your birth, even when no more than
a few, non-essential sentences have
passed our lips, caressing each other
with the familiarity of blood, of kin
you did not hate me when others did
struggling with the battle of self
How many ways?
So numerous, so many
so many people
for whom I count for
the salvation  of libing
who bring succor to quench

How we love some folk
we do not know
because their music
their voice
their actions, their words
touch the fiber of existence
who farm the fertile soil
of our lives
 I love you thee for substance
for food grew made bought
draughts of sweet tea
champagne, to celebrate
the beauty of life
the passing of life
the honor of being
among the living, the giving
(not the taking)
Of life

How, o, how, sweet Elizabeth
We love thee                         

n  22 January 2018    j.m. frase-white
Thank you E.B. Browning and Parker Stone for interrupting my teenage life, taking me to Wimpole Street
in a strange little town , on the banks of the Choptank, meeting a dog named Flush


[and a special dedication to Sondra Layton, (now Leinweber),  Elizabeth to my Robert]
Note:  the photograph is from Metro-Golden Mayer's film, starring Jennifer Jones as Elizabeth in "The Barretts of Wimpole Street", and an unnamed springer spaniel as Flush

No comments:

Post a Comment