Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mountains Views

      Since moving here, on the banks of the Moose River, in the Connecticut River Valley, with the Green Mountains to the West, and the White Mountains to the East,  I fam discovering a unique landscape, as enchanting and mysterious as Tolkien's Middle Earth.  The mountains may not have the superlative beauty of the Rockies, but oh, do they have  a personality that rivals all the areas I've lived in before. They dance with color and the light, as the the weather and seasons change.  You would swear, sometimes, that they alter their shape, yet like a friend, always familiar and fascinating, commanding, continually filling your eyes and heart with true awe.

   Over the years I've acquired pieces of glass just for the sheer beauty, often seeing a landscape or a form in them, as I await the 'inner voice' to use them in a window. In some of these scraps I have seen mountainscapes.  Three little 10 x 12 cuts, that I've had for several years coalesced in my mind, and the following work was cut assembled, foiled and soldered into shape. This is before adding the dark patina.  Size is 13 3/4" x 25 1/2". 


     Here is the completed piece, "A Window on the Mountains" hanging in the "Paper and Painting Room" portion of my studio.



        One of the joys of Stained Glass is the daily patterns of colored light cast by the installed window.  The morning sun, of the work, and of nature, seems to rejoice in the flamboyant yellow of the begonia, to greet you as you enter my home.





No comments:

Post a Comment